NBC Universal Careers
Credo & History
Awards & Recognition
Benefits & Perks
Diversity & Inclusion
Employee Resource Groups
Ops / Technology
Parks & Resorts
Our Career Paths
Apply to job
Send to friend
Save to cart
Mandarin Interpreter/Translator (Universal Creative)
Parks & Resorts
Theme Parks – Park and Resort Operations
Universal Orlando® Resort is a universe of opportunities for people who have a lot to offer. It takes a special kind of person to work at Universal Orlando. An individual who knows how to be part of a team. Someone with a sense of fun who's serious about their work. A person who knows it doesn't take magic to put a smile on a guest's face… it takes hard work, dedication, knowledge and just the right amount of Universal attitude. Whether you're serving food, working in an office, maintaining equipment, performing in costume or operating a ride, you won't just be "doing a job." You'll be creating memories for our guests that will last a lifetime. Are YOU that kind of person?
SUMMARY: Provides interpreting and translating to and from the Mandarin Chinese and English Language in all situations within the framework of conducting company business. Conducts business, cultural and technical research as required by project team. Current experience and knowledge of life in Foreign Language country is preferred. Candidate should know how to access various levels of business entities and government agencies in Mandarin Chinese.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Provides written interpretation/translation/editing of reports, documents, and correspondence between English and Mandarin Chinese.
• Transcribes and translates tape recordings of conversational speech into written English text and Mandarin Chinese text.
• Performs accurate contemporaneous conversational and business meeting translations to and from Mandarin Chinese and English at a pace concomitant with carrying out professional business meetings.
• Conducts business, cultural and technical research as required by project team. Determine best method to conduct research, internet, direct contact with Mandarin Chinese sources, etc.
• Provides oral interpreter/translation services at project meetings, phone conversations or teleconferences.
• Provides interpreter/translation services to assist in hiring Mandarin Chinese-speaking associates and in Employee Relation situations to create clear communication for those involved.
• Provides basic Mandarin Chinese and cultural initiation and introduction lessons to team members.
• Administrative organization and process management duties particularly in relation to handling documents in Mandarin Chinese.
• Managerial organizational functions including administering and running and coordinating processes and people.
• Understands and actively participates in Environmental, Health & Safety responsibilities by following established UO policy, procedures, training and team member involvement activities.
• Performs other duties as assigned
SCOPE: Provide interpreting and translating to and from Mandarin Chinese and English Languages in all situations within the framework of conducting company business. Conduct cultural and technical research as required by project team. Current experience and knowledge of life in Foreign Language Country is preferred. Candidate should know how to access various levels of Mandarin Chinese business entities and government agencies.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required:
• Strong ability to read, write/type simplified Chinese characters
• Microsoft Office
• Fluent in Mandarin Chinese
• Communicate Clearly with Team
• Organization skills
• People Management skills
• Administrative skills
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Very high ability to read and interpret documents such as legal agreements, financial reports, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, presentations and reports. Excellent Foreign language and English language skills to highly articulate native speaker standard, together with first class cultural and communication skills.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to perform these operations using units of American and Foreign currency and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
REASONING ABILITY: Very high ability to apply common sense understanding and interpretive skills to both carrying out and giving detailed involved written or oral instructions. The ability to deal with and resolve problems while multiple concrete and intangible variables exist. This skill must apply in standardized and non-standardized situations.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Highly articulate. Ability to communicate effectively both verbal and written in the English and Foreign languages.
2. Recent living/cultural experience preferred.
3. Knowledge of theory, skills and techniques of interpreting protocol.
4. Willingness to work nights, weekend and holidays.
5. Due to much of the work being carried out in different countries in different time zones availability and flexibility in working hours is a pre-requisite
6. Exceptionally high degree of interpretive intelligence required to ensure very accurate and reliable level of inter-communication between languages is achieved – not only what is said, but also what is meant.
Consistent attendance is a job requirement.
• Associate’s degree (AA) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school.
• Bachelor’s degree or Higher from a four year college or university in Communication, Language Arts, International Business is preferred.
• Other: ATA (American Translators Association) Certification or equivalent is preferred.
• 3-5 Years translating/interpreting required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
• Foreign Language/Certificate – Preferred.
• Will require a valid Florida state driver’s license.
Your talent, skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
We regret, due to the volume of responses, only applicants of interest will be contacted. Universal is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Universal Orlando via-email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written Statement of Work in place for this position from Universal Orlando HR/Recruitment will be deemed the sole property of Universal Orlando. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Universal Orlando as a result of the referral or through other means.
To go directly to this position cut and paste the Job Posting number: 30218BR
IT'S A BIG UNIVERSE. WHERE DO YOU FIT IN?
Universal elements and all related indicia TM & © 2016 Universal Studios. © 2016 Universal Orlando. All rights reserved. EOE
Apply to job
Send to friend
Save to cart
We are an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Click
to view the NBCUniversal Candidate Privacy Statement.