| || £48,989 to £60,563 per annum; Agenda for Change Band 8b|
Full Time, 37.5 hours per week
Who We Are
NHS Education for Scotland (NES) is an education and training body and a national health board within NHS Scotland, with responsibility of developing and delivering education and training for the healthcare workforce in Scotland.
The function of the NES Digital Service Group is to deliver one of the key objectives of the Scottish Government’s recent Digital Health and Care Strategy. The Strategy called for a Scottish ‘national digital platform’ through which relevant real-time data and information from health and care records will be made available to those who need it, when they need it, and wherever they are, in a secure and safe way. We are currently seeking to recruit a number of postholders to join the NES Digital Service Group.
What You Will Do
The postholder will play a senior role in delivering valuable solutions to complex problems across health and social care. They will ensure the highest standards of security, reliability, scalability and cost efficiency across their team. This senior role will also mentor, support and develop more junior members of the team supporting the collective delivery of challenging technical goals.
Key tasks will include but are not restricted to:
|- Applying software engineering best practice and suitable technologies to the design and development of core services and products in the health platform. Instrumenting, operating, and maintaining those services.|
|- Applying knowledge of designing secure and resilient distributed systems to your daily work.|
|- Influencing your team’s strategy and contribute significantly to prioritisation and planning; applying your expertise to how to deliver value iteratively, learning from every step.|
|- Participating in hiring to bring the best talent into the team.|
|- Mentoring junior members of a team, with the option to progress to line manage junior engineers according to your aspirations. |
What You Will Bring
This will include but is not restricted to:
- Experience directly delivering and operating, and guiding others in the delivery and operation of software solutions in a complex environment.
- Ability to mentor and develop more junior team members in their craft.
- Experience in providing advice and consultancy to other engineers in areas of specific technical expertise (e.g. security, client side development, deployment etc.)
- Familiarity with cloud technologies e.g. Azure, AWS, GCP; and designing, building, deploying and operating systems in the cloud.
- Expertise in fundamentals of software development including: version control, continuous integration, continuous delivery, unit testing, and test driven development.
- Ability to understand and capture business problems and produce technical solutions to them
- Ability to work effectively with stakeholders outside the immediate team, such as clinicians and social care staff. Understanding their problems and digesting feedback on solutions you have provided.
If you are interested in this vacancy and would like further information, please refer to the Job Information Pack which includes a copy of the Job Summary, Person Specification and Conditions of Service. A copy of the full Job Description is available here.
For an informal discussion regarding these vacancies, please contact:
Alistair Hann, Chief Technology Officer, Alistair.Hann@nes.scot.nhs.uk
Unless otherwise stated the deadline for applications is 23:59 hours on the closing date.
Applications must be made online via our website.
CVs will not be accepted