| || 46892BR |
| || Bioinformatics Programmer |
| || 5933 Bioinformatics Programmer IV |
| || Mission Hall - Mission Bay |
| || Institute for Computational Health Sciences |
| || Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm |
| || Days |
| || 8 Hours |
| || JOB OVERVIEW
The Bioinformatics Programmer uses skills as an advanced, specialized bioinformatics programming professional with an in-depth understanding of computational algorithms to identify and resolve a wide range of highly complex issues / software bugs where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. May lead or mentor a team of bioinformatics programming professionals.
The Bioinformatics Programmer develops and utilizes computational tools to analyze and interpret a huge volume and variety of data collected for clinical care as well as newer “big data” from genomic sequencing, monitors, sensors, and wearables.
The Bioinformatics Programmer is responsible for the development and deployment of UCSF’s Knowledge Network Platform, which includes computing nodes, very large biomedical and health data, shared and best-of-breed tools, metadata and catalog. The role includes data and tool management, curation and engineering.
INSTITUTE FOR COMPUTATIONAL HEALTH SCIENCES
The Institute for Computational Health Sciences (ICHS) is a critical component of a global UCSF initiative in Precision Medicine, which seeks to aggregate and integrate vast, disparate datasets to advance understanding of biological processes, determine mechanisms of disease, and inform diagnosis and treatment of patients. Beginning with a base of excellent computational faculty dispersed among our four top-ranked professional schools (Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy) and Graduate Division, superb research programs and outstanding Medical Center, ICHS will establish a central convening center, hire additional faculty, and build programs for research and education. ICHS will develop and enhance UCSF’s computational approaches and strategies in basic, translational, clinical and population-based biomedical research, working with partners in industry and academia where appropriate. It will be a campus hub for computer scientists and for researchers who employ computation as a primary tool in their biomedical research.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
| || • Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational / programming, or related area and 5-10 years relevant experience, and / or equivalent experience / training
• In-depth knowledge of bioinformatics methods, applications programming, web development and data structures
• In-depth knowledge of bioinformatics programming design, modification and implementation
• In-depth knowledge of modern biology and applicable field of research
• In-depth knowledge of web, application and data security concepts and methods
• Advanced knowledge of privacy, security, HIPAA rules and regulations with ability to apply directly to data security and information access
• Advanced understanding of relational databases, web interfaces and operating systems
• Advanced project management skills
• Advanced interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at all levels in the organization, including senior project leadership, internal and external audiences
• Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner
• Advanced ability to interface with management on a regular basis
• Ability to lead a team, meet deadlines and demonstrate advanced problem solving skills
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required. Effective March 13, 2017, all final candidate(s) for employment are required to undergo a background check.
| || • Master’s degree in biomedical computation or computer science and five to seven years of relevant experience, and/or equivalent experience/training
• Demonstrated very large scale (meta data) data application knowledge in the field of Health/Medicine
• Highly developed ability to interface with management on a regular basis
| || n/a |
| || Full Time |
| || 100% |
| || The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. |