| || 46863BR |
| || Bioinformatics Programmer |
| || 5993 Bioinformatics Programmer V |
| || Mission Hall - Mission Bay |
| || Institute for Computational Health Sciences |
| || Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm |
| || Days |
| || 8 Hours |
| || JOB OVERVIEW
The Bioinformatics Programmer’s job involves developing and utilizing computational tools to analyze and interpret biological or other research data. Utilizes and develops algorithms, computational techniques, and statistical methodologies. Helps in the design of new experiments. Implements end-user needs in database searching and integration. Maintains the computational infrastructure and tracks the flow of samples and information for large-scale studies. Provides web-based bioinformatics and access to public and proprietary databases.
The Bioinformatics Programmer functions as a highly specialized bioinformatics programming professional with an expert understanding of computational algorithms to identify and resolve a wide range of highly complex issues where analysis of situations or data requirements have little or no precedent. Project scope is broad and may extend beyond the university. Is considered a subject matter expert of the organization and often recognized as an expert externally in the field. Leads a team of bioinformatics professionals.
INSTITUTE FOR COMPUTATIONAL HEALTH SCIENCES
The Institute for Computational Health Sciences is a critical component of a global UCSF initiative in Precision Medicine, which seeks to aggregate and integrate vast, disparate datasets to advance understanding of biological processes, determine mechanisms of disease, and inform diagnosis and treatment of patients. Beginning with a base of excellent computational faculty dispersed among our four top-ranked professional schools (Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy) and Graduate Division, superb research programs and outstanding Medical Center, ICHS will establish a central convening center, hire additional faculty, and build programs for research and education. ICHS will develop and enhance UCSF’s computational approaches and strategies in basic, translational, clinical and population-based biomedical research, working with partners in industry and academia where appropriate. It will be a campus hub for computer scientists and for researchers who employ computation as a primary tool in their biomedical research.
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences.
| || • Bachelor's degree in biological science, computational / programming, or related area and 10+ years of relevant experience, and / or equivalent experience / training
• Expert knowledge of bioinformatics methods, applications programming, web development and data structures
• Expert knowledge of bioinformatics programming design, modification and implementation
• Expert understanding of relational databases, web interfaces and operating systems
• Expert knowledge of modern biology and applicable field of research
• Expert knowledge of web, application and data security concepts and methods
• Demonstrated application knowledge of Large Scale data in the field of Health/Medicine data
• Demonstrated knowledge and experience in Data Sciences, including data mining, machine learning, advanced statistics, data curation, data management, data quality
• Highly developed project management skills
• Highly developed interpersonal skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at all levels internally and externally to the organization
• Ability to communicate technical information in a clear and concise manner
• Highly developed ability to interface with management on a regular basis
• Ability to lead a team, meet deadlines and demonstrate highly developed problem solving skills
Note: Fingerprinting and background check required. Effective March 13, 2017, all final candidate(s) for employment will be required to undergo a background check.
| || • Master’s degree in biological science, computational/programming, or related area and 10+ years relevant experience, and/or equivalent experience/training |
| || n/a |
| || Full Time |
| || 100% |
| || The University of California San Francisco is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information. |