NBC Universal Careers
Credo & History
Awards & Recognition
Benefits & Perks
Diversity & Inclusion
Employee Resource Groups
Ops / Technology
Parks & Resorts
Our Career Paths
Apply to job
Send to friend
Save to cart
Assistant News Director
Owned Stations & Affiliate Relations
NBCUOTS - TLM KVEA
TV Content & Production
NBCUniversal is one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies in the development, production, and marketing of entertainment, news, and information to a global audience. NBCUniversal owns and operates a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, and world-renowned theme parks. NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law.
KVEA-Channel 52, the West Coast Telemundo Flagship station is looking for an experienced, creative and motivated leader to partner with the Vice President of Content. This role will help manage the station’s News department including long and short range planning and execution of the daily newscast and special projects within budgetary constraints.
This is a great opportunity to join a dynamic team where quality performance is recognized and rewarded.
The successful Assistant News Director candidate will be one who has strong news judgment with the ability to lead and inspire a highly talented news staff to reach beyond established goals and who will perform these functions within the context of Company objectives, policies and procedures. The assistant news director will be a model staff member. This position will report directly to the VP of Content.
• Enforces newsroom’s policies and procedures, including deadlines and style.
• Acts as the news director in case of their absence.
• Establishes the strategic mission and tactical operations of the newsroom while maintaining the highest levels of journalistic, legal, TV production and promotion standards. Ensures overall execution of news mission and assumes top leadership role.
• Manages daily news operation for distribution to multiple platforms.
• Creates strategies for developing digital content across multiple platforms.
• Generates strategies to increase ratings and performance in key target areas across multiple platforms.
• Creates expectations for all aspects of the on-air presentation of content for all shows.
• Leads coverage planning of major events, and sweeps coverage.
• Develops show missions and makes sure the daily goals and missions are executed.
• Evaluates workflow efficiencies ensuring editorial resources and expectations are clearly defined and met.
• Recruits, develops, and oversees staff performances to direct reports. Oversees the evaluation and performance appraisal process within the news department.
• Implements and has working knowledge of federal, state, and local laws impacting newsroom operations.
• Writes, produces, and posts scripts for multiple platforms.
• Provides primary input to hiring, firing, performance and rewards decisions.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• 5+ years experience as a news manager in related field including managerial experience of a mid-size team (5-15) of professional individuals.
• Minimum 5 years of experience working in Spanish market broadcast television.
• A degree in journalism or a closely related field is required.
• Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) required both written and verbal.
• Experience preparing departmental budgets, developing strategic plans and presenting in front of large audiences.
• Proven ability to multi-task and work well under pressure and have the ability to train, coach, and motivate staff members in a positive way to advance their skills and bring out the very best in each of them.
• Advanced oral and written communication skills.
• High level of experience in technical expertise across emerging multi-media platforms.
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels.
• Knowledgeable about FCC rules and laws pertaining to news broadcasting in multi-media platforms and employment and labor regulations.
• Ability to set policies.
• Possess strong writing, producing, creative, management and leadership skills.
• Must be creative, innovative, have an extremely hands on managing style, and be able to create and execute a winning strategy across multiple platforms.
• Must be a fierce competitor who plays to win.
• Possesses the skills, passion, vision, and drive to take us to the highest levels of performance.
Interested candidates must submit a resume/CV through nbcunicareers.com to be considered.
Must have ability to work evening hours regularly and flexible hours including weekends when needed
Must be willing to work in Universal City, CA (Los Angeles)
Must have a valid driver’s license
Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU's Alternative Dispute Resolution Program
Possess excellent communication, editorial judgment, organization and time management skills.
Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and adhere to strict deadlines under pressure
Ability to work well independently and be detail oriented
Possess strong video production, shooting and editing skills
Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
Ability to work with both external and internal clients
Posses strong knowledge of Social Media Platforms (Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram,Twitter, etc.)
Ability to analyze data and metrics and develop a strategy.
Have the desire to work in a creative, demanding, competitive environment while believing that teams are smarter and more dynamic together
Working knowledge of digital media technology, particularly content-management tools
Blogging, wire service, newspaper rewrite or 24-hour cable news background
Apply to job
Send to friend
Save to cart
We are an equal opportunity employer, offering a great work environment, challenging career opportunities, professional training and competitive compensation. Click
to view the NBCUniversal Candidate Privacy Statement.