Lowe's Companies Inc - Job details
Apply to Job(s)
Save to cart
Job Posting Title
Corporate Communications Specialist - 12 month contract
0400 - Canada Corporate
Employment Type I
Employment Type II
This is a 12 month contract position, covering a maternity leave.
Based in Toronto and reporting to the Corporate Communications Manager, the Corporate Communications Specialist contributes to the planning, development and execution of comprehensive internal, external and community relations strategies that support Lowe’s business and brand objectives, while helping to protect the company’s reputation. This position works with cross-functional teams to facilitate proactive media relations campaigns including product placement strategies, public relations for community and sponsorship programs, and supporting external announcements for corporate initiatives such as store openings, new innovations, HR/employee related programs, etc. As well, the position is responsible for the day-to-day oversight of community relations efforts that support Lowe’s Charitable and Educational Foundation charter including partner relations, logistics related to Lowe’s participation in community events/programs, liaising with stores and supporting execution of programs in local markets, and tracking results and contributing to monthly and quarterly reporting.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Contribute to the planning, development and execution of internal and external communications strategies for corporate, product and community relations initiatives.
• Provide media relations support for a variety of national and local announcements including corporate initiatives, store openings/events, community programs/partnerships, awards and hiring announcements to position Lowe’s as the best home improvement company in Canada and a responsible community leader, while driving brand and product awareness through earned media.
• Research, write, edit and distribute a wide variety of PR and employee communications materials including news releases, media advisories, fact sheets, backgrounders, product/industry articles, key messaging materials, speaking remarks, corporate/employee announcements, and community relations progress and successes.
• Work with agency partner to support the execution of a proactive product placement strategy including planning, logistics and media relations for product showcase events, and pitching product placement opportunities to a wide range of journalists including print, TV and online influencers. Evaluate and respond to reactive requests.
• Assist with the development of a PR tool kit with the ongoing responsibility of ensuring store training and usage of relevant materials to promote positive brand reputation.
• Maintain updated media lists of targeted journalists including print, radio, TV and online media relevant to the business.
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with media and bloggers important to Lowe’s. Occasional travel, as needed, to meet with journalists in key markets.
• Maintain and monitor editorial calendars for key audiences.
• Handle daily media monitoring and tracking of print, broadcast and online coverage, including media reporting for major campaigns.
• Field and respond to daily media requests.
• Promote cross-functional communication and sharing of information that impacts other areas of the business. Work with Social Media to develop and share content of PR and community relations announcements.
• Execution of comprehensive community outreach strategies in existing markets, as well as new communities including Skills Canada partnership, Rink Renovation program, Lowe’s Heros’, and employee giving campaigns, among others.
• Solid management of partnerships with national nonprofit organizations and support emergency response/disaster relief efforts.
• Supports growing national partnerships in Canada as expansion warrants.
• Manage LCEF grant requests and miscellaneous donations.
• Analyze daily donation requests (written, emailed, faxed and phoned) for support against stated philanthropic areas of focus and charitable guidelines and determine validity of requests with the ability to articulate response to all inquiries whether support is awarded or denied.
• Track Lowe’s Canada community relations efforts/results, and contribute to monthly and quarterly reporting.
• Contribute content to annual social responsibility report.
• Provide day-to-day project management support for a variety of PR and CR initiatives, as required.
• Other projects as assigned.
• Degree or Diploma in Corporate Communications, Public Relations or a related field.
• Minimum 4-6 years public relations experience in a corporate or agency environment, consumer/retail PR experience preferred.
• Strong media relations skills and established relationships with business, retail, consumer and lifestyle media.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to draft a variety of internal and external communications materials under tight timelines and on short notice.
• Demonstrated experience managing Community Relations partnerships, programs and charitable initiatives.
• Strong event management skills with a focus on planning and logistics, and experience collaborating and working with cross functional teams.
• Ability to handle multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously, in a fast-paced environment.
• Extremely versatile individual that can adapt to changing priorities.
• Professional poise and confidence to interface with senior management, as needed.
• Ability to work effectively under deadlines and pressure.
• Strong attention to detail.
• Excellent time management and organizational/planning skills.
• Experience working with PR systems including Infomart, CNW, MR2P or similar.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
• Strong internet research skills and experience working with social media to integrate bloggers and online influencers into PR efforts.
Apply to Job(s)
Save to cart
© 2013 by Lowe's®. All rights reserved. Lowe's, the gable design and Never Stop Improving are registered trademarks of LF, LLC
Lowe's Canada 5160 Yonge Street, Suite 200, North York, Ontario M2N 6L9; Email: