Westat is an employee-owned corporation providing research services to agencies of the U.S. Government, as well as businesses, foundations, and state and local governments. Westat's research, technical, and administrative staff of more than 2,000 is located at our headquarters in Rockville, Maryland, near Washington, DC.
Westat is seeking a librarian with demonstrated experience in conducting complex bibliographic database searches and other in-depth research. This position is based in Rockville, MD.
· Provide expert literature search services, including systematic reviews, for published and grey literature in a variety of subject areas (e.g., health, education, social sciences).
· Develop sound search strategies, execute searches, and document search methods both independently and in collaboration with other librarians.
· Manage search results with bibliographic software programs (e.g., Reference Manager, EndNote).
· Assist with legislative monitoring and business development activities.
· Evaluate and search bibliographic, news, and business resources.
· Communicate effectively with requestors to understand, guide, and meet their research needs.
· Respond to complex reference questions.
· Develop promotional and training materials and conduct effective training in the use of research tools.
· Other special projects, as assigned.
· ALA-accredited master’s degree in library or information science is required.
· 5 years of library experience, including at least 1 year of demonstrated bibliographic database searching.
· Knowledge of specialized research tools (e.g., PubMed, ProQuest, EBSCO).
· Proficiency with MS Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel).
The ideal candidate must possess excellent database searching, research, customer service, analytical and organizational skills, proficiency in written and oral communication, and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work both independently and collaboratively in a team-based, customer service environment.
Westat offers competitive benefits with ESOP, 401k, Health, Dental, paid vacation, sick and holiday leave, professional development as well as other benefits.
Any offer of employment may be contingent upon receipt of acceptable results from a post-offer background screening, if required for the position, based on the specific position which may include, for example, identity verification, employment history, or criminal records history.
Westat is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other protected status under applicable law.