Apply to job
Save to cart
View similar jobs
Train Service | Union Railroad Company
Auto req ID
US - PA
Work Location - City
Since the late 1800's, the Transtar companies have been an important component in this country's industrial development. Moving billions of tons of raw materials to manufacturing sites. Transporting finished products to market. Storing and handling bulk commodities. Providing rail transport services to hundreds of satisfied customers throughout the nation's industrial heartland.
The Transtar companies consist of a group of rail carriers that grew up over the years to meet the transportation needs of the steel making facilities that were the predecessors of today's United States Steel Corporation. Historically, the Transtar companies were the wholly-owned transportation subsidiaries of United States Steel Corporation. In December 1988, as part of a financial restructuring, these transportation companies were acquired by the new holding company, Transtar, Inc. Transtar, in turn, is owned by United States Steel Corporation.
Steel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn’t be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles — to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation’s energy resources — our products build quality of life for people around the world.
U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation — a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance. We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.
The Train Service job is an entry level transportation position of Transtar, Inc.,
and a core component for our workforce as vital movers and transloaders of bulk commodities in the country as a wholly-owned subsidiary U. S. Steel. As part of the transportation department, you will perform duties that include the operation of locomotives moving raw materials, finished products.
• Communicate via radio transmitter with crew members and workers in the Yard Office regarding rail transportation work to be performed.
• Observe hand and radio signals in the yard in accordance with railroad rules and regulations.
• Operate track switches as needed.
• Perform procedures required to couple/uncouple rail cars.
• Push/pull drawhead into place to align for railcar coupling.
• Apply hand brakes on rail cars not in active use.
• Maintain cleanliness of locomotive cab.
• Work outdoors in all weather conditions, and walk extended distances over uneven terrain.
• A minimum of one year outdoor work experience is required.
• High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) is required.
• Valid driver's license is required.
• Full time position, working any shift, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including holidays.
• Adherence to safety procedures/guidelines at all times. Safety is our core value which requires you to wear safety protection such as hard hats, safety glasses, hearing protection, protective clothing, and boots with metatarsal protection.
• The position requires punctuality, consistent attendance, self direction and work collaboratively in a team environment for the success of the operations.
• Must pass assessment test(s) Transtar, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or disability status.
- As an individual contributor, qualified candidates for this role also must demonstrate the ability to champion change and effective communication while contributing to team success.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Transtar companies are a principled companies committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results & accountability, and focus on cost, quality, and customer. We promote an environment of respect, communication, and collaboration – encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success.
Apply to job
Save to cart
View similar jobs