Lockheed Martin - Job details
Submit to Job(s)
Save to cart
View similar jobs
Industry Job Title
Materials Science R&D Manager - Morgantown, WV
L1486:Research Science Sr Mgr
Lockheed Martin is seeking an innovative and energetic Materials Science Research & Development Manager to support the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) in Morgantown, WV. NETL, the research arm of the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Fossil Energy, is advancing cost-effective and environmentally sound technologies to meet the nation’s energy challenges by leveraging our most available resources. The Laboratory develops technologies and processes that answer pressing energy issues and provides our Nation’s policymakers with the scientific information they need to set sound energy policy. This position will be instrumental in growing NETL into one of our nation’s top energy research institutions.
Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) focus area of the NETL’ Office of Research and Development (ORD) is seeking an experienced R&D manager to oversee materials discovery, design, synthesis, processing, and characterization as they relate to combustion systems, carbon capture/use/storage, fuel cells, and geologic processes. NETL MSE researchers develop materials and strategies that promote advanced energy conversion technologies using computational and experimental approaches ranging from fundamental science through pilot-scale evaluation. Much of the research focuses on the development and testing of new or improved structural and functional materials for the aggressive environments of the next generation of power plants.
To learn more about the materials research being done at NETL visit http://www.netl.doe.gov./onsite_research/materials-science.html/
The Materials Science Senior R&D Manager will be the primary site lead and interface for the DOE NETL materials science R&D mission. This person will provide leadership for NETL materials research and discovery commercialization. Responsibilities include the following:
• Manage a multi-disciplined MSE staff of materials engineers, metallurgists, ceramic engineers, geologists, chemists, chemical engineers, and mechanical engineers.
• Work closely with industry, academia, and other governmental organizations to advance R&D in materials science
• Provide direction and support to materials research for the following applications areas: advanced combustion, advanced gasification, fuel cells, CO2 utilization, turbines (base materials and coatings), catalysis and nano-materials, batteries, membranes (H2, CO2, O2 selective), and carbon-capture solvents and sorbents.
• Maintain & grow a strong relationships with researchers within utilities and private industry allow it to assess gaps and identify limitations in today’s technologies and determine current and future materials needs
• Manage state-of-the-art technical resources and capabilities with respect to equipment, facilities and research staff
• Ensure that Environmental Safety and Health (ES&H) for all employees is a top priority across all locations.
Note: This position is contingent upon contract award which is expected summer 2014. Relocation is negotiable.
Keywords: Energy, materials, nanotechnology, nanoscience, alloys, gas membranes, Laboratory, Research, Oil, Gas, Natural Gas, R&D, Professional Engineer, Chemical Engineer, commercialization, work for others, fossil fuel, fossil energy, climate change, methane, carbon capture, turbine
• 8 or more years’ professional R&D management experience supporting materials research programs in an industrial advanced concept/research organization, university, or national laboratory environment
• Advanced degree in a materials science, physics, chemistry, or related discipline
• Documented expertise with materials research via journal articles, patents, or invited presentations
• Experience with synthesis of metal, ceramic, polymer, and/or composite materials at scales from proof-of-concept through bench scale
• Understanding of the application of materials science to one or more of the following domains: high-temperature & pressure environments such as gas turbines; gas separation & capture; fuel cells; carbon material synthesis; geological structures
• PhD in Materials science or closely related discipline
• Demonstrated business acumen, preferably via a degree in business administration or management
• Specific experience with advanced energy conversion processes, fossil energy combustion systems, carbon capture, carbon utilization, fuel cells, and geological drilling/processing
• Demonstrated experience and ability setting priorities in a large complex institution while managing competing interests
• Experience with commercialization and technology transfer of materials research & development
• Proven ability to capture Government research & development funding
LMCareers Business Unit
ESS0997 IS&GS-CIVIL (S8200)
Info Systems & Global Sol
7219024:ITS-Civl - Other GSA
Environment Safety and Health
STANDARD-Mon-Fri/8 hours a day
Lockheed Martin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Submit to Job(s)
Save to cart
View similar jobs