Job 1 of 1
|*Material Development Specialist - Additive Manufacturing|
|Research & Development / Technology|
|Alcoa Technical Center|
|The Alcoa Technical Center (ATC) is Alcoaâ€™s largest research, development, and applied engineering laboratory. Alcoa Technical Center occupies a 127-acre campus with an additional 2,019 acres of rolling countryside. This facility is the worldâ€™s largest light metals research and development center with a full range of lab capabilities, from bench-scale to full production-scale equipment. The facility has a diverse, multi-lingual workforce holding more than 100 doctorate and 200 masterâ€™s Degrees.|
Alcoa has an exciting opportunity for a Material Development Specialist-Additive Manufacturing (AM) to work at the Alcoa Technical Center located in Alcoa Center (New Kensington) PA, a suburb of Pittsburgh. The Material Development Specialist is responsible for defining a materials development plan and executing on the plan to deliver growth opportunities for Alcoa through the generation of IP and new products from Additive Manufacturing technologies. The individual will be the materials development leader within a team that is tasked to rapidly grow Alcoaâ€™s additive manufacturing capabilities. This role will work with researchers, scientists, engineers across Alcoa, including Alcoa Technical Center-Pittsburgh, Alcoa Power & Propulsion, Alcoa Forgings and Extrusions, and other businesses within Alcoaâ€™s Engineeres Product and Solutions(EPS) and Grobal Rolled Products (GRP) Businesses groups.
This role will report to the Director, EPS Business Technology and will primarily be responsible for defining, leading, and executing projects that enable the development of materials and products to create differentiated technical advantages for the Corporation. This role is responsible for proposing material development roadmaps and options, using these to influence Alcoa Sr. Leaders.
- Define and lead strategic material development projects that are critical to the growth of Alcoaâ€™s competencies in Additive Manufacturing
- Identify plans and coordinate projects that support technology-based business opportunities by integrating appropriate technologies and emerging opportunities inside and outside Alcoa to create business relevant solutions
- Maintain linkages internally and externally to insure best resources and approaches are used
- Identify novel technologies and approaches for end product development and manufacturing
- Identify key material development areas
- Assess and recommend actions regarding competitive threats and emerging technologies
- Propose intellectual property (IP) options
- Accountable for successful transfer and implementation of Additive Manufacturing technology in Alcoa plants
This position requires a broad understanding of materials development, product design, product development and additive manufacturing technologies. The ability to influence outcomes and align multidisciplinary teams to achieve the desired outcomes is a key accountability. Communication and interaction skills are critical in this position to successfully influence direct multi-disciplined teams to achieve significant technical outcomes. This role must be able to represent Alcoa materials development interests to external organizations and guide the execution of projects both internal and external to Alcoa.
- Some Alcoa Technical Center (ATC) products and technical information are subject to U.S. export control laws. Applicants for this position will be required to submit information regarding work authorization status to enable ATC to comply with those laws.
- This position is being posted at a range of job grades 18-19. Job grade will be dependent on education and experience level of the incumbent.
- Master degree in Material Science or Metallurgy AND 5+ years experience in research and technology development, normally gained through assignments in technology organizations
- Experience in additive manufacturing processes and technologies
- PhD in Material Science or Metallurgy AND 3+ years experience in research and technology development, normally gained through assignments in technology organizations
- Alloy development experience across a range of metals (Al, Ti, Fe based alloys); powder metallurgy, atomization process, morphology for additive manufacturing processes
- Broad experience in product development and manufacturing gained through experience in research, engineering, product and process development, or production environments
- Proven experience leading and influencing at multiple levels within an organization