R&D Display Advertising is a research group with development capability to build production grade products focusing on new generation of technologies.
The AOL Networks group includes Advertising.com, ADTECH, Pictela, AOL Video, AOL Canvas, goviral, 5min Media. Aol Networks group serves a combined content and advertising market at scale through video, brand and advertising, content and ad serving.
AOL’s Networks Group of Online Advertising in Palo Alto, CA has an exciting opportunity for a Software Data Engineer to work with a fast moving and sharp R&D team in developing Large Scale Analytics data modeling and online advertising optimization systems. We commonly work with petabytes of data and gather billions of events every day. The Software Data Engineer will be primarily responsible for working on our Hadoop ecosystem to develop software and technologies related to: data acquisition, data transport, data structures, data layers, data monitoring, and data validation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with Engineering Leads to strategize and develop data flow solutions in order to address long-term technical and business needs;
- Work with R&D, QA, and Operations teams to understand and address end-to-end data flow requirements for the purposes of prototype development as well as operational efficiency;
- Develop tools and leverage existing applications (open source) to ensure data management objectives are met in terms of data quality, data integrity, and data monitoring;
- Build data insightful metrics feeding reporting and other applications;
- Conduct code reviews for data flow/data application implementations.
- Master in Computer Science prefer;
- 5+ years of professional software development experience in traditional programming languages (C/C++/Java/C#);
- 3+ years of professional experience working with Hadoop stack (HDFS, MapReduce required; Hive, Pig, Flume, Oozie, Zookeeper desired);
- Working experience with Linux system administration, installation, configuration;
- Working experience with scripting languages such as PHP, Perl or shell;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
At AOL we’re focused on radically redefining the world of online communications. We are transforming how people around the globe connect with information, entertainment and one another by bringing together award winning journalists and innovative technologies to create rich and engaging consumer experiences. We look for people who are exceptionally imaginative, collaborative, and truly excited about our mission - to inform, entertain and connect the world.
AOL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other classification prescribed by applicable law.
*All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on, race, gender, veteran status, disability or other protected category.