Day & Ross Freight has an immediate opening for an Operations Manager for it's Toronto terminal.
Nature and Scope of Position
As a key member of the Management Team, the Operations Manager is accountable to oversee, direct and manage and ensure results are in line with the strategic direction of the Terminal This individual will drive major efficiency improvements and champion the strategy for maintaining and adding new growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
The primary duties and responsibilities of this role include:
- Working with the General Freight Team, ensure that, as the company grows, operations capabilities meet or exceed all customer and corporate requirements for unit cost, service quality and responsiveness.
- Work closely with the Terminal Manager on operational plans, goals, and contributing to future innovations.
- Provide daily guidance to staff, to ensure alignment with operational and customer expectations.
- Develop a culture of safety, professionalism and service excellence in all areas of operations. Maintain policies and procedures to ensure compliance with Federal and Provincial transportation requirements.
- Ensure that all incidents (such as personal injuries; transportation collisions; spills etc) are promptly reported, documented, root causes identified and corrective/preventative measures implemented.
- Support the preventative maintenance program.
- Provides mentoring and guidance to subordinates and other employees. Establishes individual objectives, conducts performance appraisal reviews, recommends salary action, and implements succession planning. Oversees and manages professional development to support leadership development program.
- Utilize superior communications skills to motivate staff and develop effective peers, managers and clients.
- Develop, implement and track on a monthly basis, an operational “dash board” for visual understanding of performance against plan elements.
Desirable Education / Experience / Competencies
· Transportation background in dispatch, dock supervision
· Equipment knowledge is an asset
· Safety training interest, knowledge and skills is an asset
· Class AZ licence experience preferred, however not required
· Computer literate in Excel and Word
· Must have a strong sense of urgency
· Must be able to work under a flexible work schedule
· Must be a hands on operator, trainer, coach and mentor
· Must be able to build and maintain relationships
· Must be a self starter
· Must be customer focused individual
Must be willing to travel if required
As a federally regulated employer, the Day & Ross Transportation Group duly supports the principles of employment equity and encourages all qualified members of the designated groups to apply.